For South Asian weddings, access to quality and variety in traditional clothing is limited in the US. If you’re lucky, there’s a nearby aunty who has opened up a clothing boutique. Or you have a relative in Pakistan (with good taste) who sends you new clothes every year. Maybe a close friend brings you back an outfit or two from her recent trip to India. But not all of us have a fashion fairy godmother.
Fortunately, South Asian female entrepreneurs are increasingly embracing eCommerce, making traditional clothing more accessible in North America. At KYNAH, Aisha Rawji’s online shop offers chic South Asian formalwear that caters to minimalist western aesthetics.
I’ve styled this vibrant Mitalee lengha by KYNAH, perfect for a summer wedding to dance the night away in. I adore the slight pops of color, fun tassel embellishments, and voluminous crinkly skirt. It actually fits more like a gown than a lengha, which makes the outfit super comfortable. Shop my look with code BNBSocial for 10% off* your entire purchase.
KYNAH, which means “woman leader”, is an apt title for Rawji’s line. As a female entrepreneur, she’s paving the way for more women here in the U.S. to enjoy their culture in a way they can appreciate. Her designs offer a modern perspective focused on quality materials, subtle prints, and light embellishments — a welcome break from usually having to decide between gaudy and even gaudier.
5 Tips When Shopping for South Asian Formalwear at KYNAH
1. Order in Advance: If you’re in the U.S. or Canada, shop at least 2 weeks in advance for a ready-to-ship outfit. For made-to-order outfits, shop at least 6 weeks ahead.
2. Consider Shipping Costs: There is a $15 flat shipping fee within the U.S. or India. For international shipping, customers are responsible for customs and duty fees.
3. Size Matters: KYNAH does leave a margin for alterations. But if you’re unsure, consider a larger size to allow further room for alterations by your local tailor.
4. Purchase with Intent: You have 24 hours to cancel your order. Otherwise, returns or exchanges are not accepted.
5. Handle with Care: All items are dry clean only. I usually spot clean my outfits by hand. But if a thorough cleaning is required, make sure your dry cleaner is sensitive to certain areas (i.e. pearls, crystals, or other embellishments).
South Asian Wedding Guest Outfits Under $500
If you’re dressing for a summer wedding, here are my top 10 picks from KYNAH starting at $338. If you’re a new customer, you can use my exclusive discount code BNBSocial for 10% off your entire purchase.
*Visit Kynah’s online shop and get 10% off your purchase with my exclusive code BNBSocial. For new customers only from June 6 – July 6. Limit one per customer. Looking for jewelry to go with your look? Try a couple of my favorite options: Art Karat and Miraya.